Contenu du Fonds Dubois / Contents of the Dubois Collection
Le Fonds ancien de la BU de l’Université de Poitiers est dépositaire du prestigieux Fonds Auguste Dubois essentiellement composé d’ouvrages de politique économique, riche d’une quantité impressionnante de pamphlets rares publiés entre 1560 et 1830, collectés par Dubois, Professeur d’histoire des doctrines économiques et politiques à l’Université. Une première numérisation a eu lieu dans le cadre de la Bibliothèque virtuelle Les premiers socialismes. Ces documents sont d’un intérêt particulier pour les historiens, politologues, économistes, ethnologues et sociologues quant aux conditions de vie, aux questions économiques, aux moyens politiques, et à la circulation des idées en Europe et au-delà, au cours des deux siècles couverts par la collection. Un grand nombre de ces ouvrages sont des ouvrages en anglais, ou publiés dans les îles britanniques.
Catalogue en ligne: Fonds Dubois: ouvrages en langue anglaise, traduits de l’anglais ou publiés en Grande-Bretagne [PDF – 439 Ko]. Cette collection est unique en France.
The University of Poitiers holds in its Manuscripts & rare books collections the prestigious Dubois collection essentially composed of works on political economy. It holds an impressive number of rare pamphlets published mainly from the second half of the 16th century to the beginning of the 19th. Assembled by August Dubois, Professor of Economic & Political Doctrine at the University of Poitiers, where the University Library (Law & Litterature) is the depository to this legacy. A number of works in the collection have been digitised for the virtual library on the first socialisms. Those documents are of particular interest for historians, philosophers, political scientists, economists, ethnologists and sociologists on themes such as the economics, political means, working conditions and the circulation of ideas and persons in Europe and in the Atlantic world more widely during the three centuries covered by the works contained in the collection. A large number of works in the Collection are in English, or published in the British Isles.
Online catalogue: Fonds Dubois: ouvrages en langue anglaise, traduits de l’anglais ou publiés en Grande-Bretagne [PDF – 439 Ko] ). This collection is unique in France.
International Institute of Social History (Amsterdam)
ARCHIVES DE LA REVUE D’HISTOIRE ÉCONOMIQUE ET SOCIALE (RHES)661
Correspondance historique, particulièrement avec Auguste Dubois (Poitiers). 1910-1928. 1 chemise.
Archives Editions Marcel Rivière (Paris) Period 1904-1986 Total size 8.15 m. Consultation Not restricted
Founded in Paris in 1902 by Marcel Rivière (died in 1948), who was also a bookseller; Éditions Marcel Rivière became one of the leading scholarly publishing houses in France; its list included works on political theories, sociology, economics, geography, the labour movement, law and international relations; M. Rivière was also founder and editor of the magazine Revue d’histoire des doctrines économiques et sociales, renamed in 1912 Revue d’histoire économique et sociale (RHES) and in 1982 Histoire économie et société.
Kashnor Collection – unique printed material relating to British social, economic, and political history from the seventeenth century onwards was acquired by the IISH in 1937. This collection was named ‘Kashnor’, for the London collectors from whom the material was purchased.
Leon Kashnor had owned the Museum Book Store in London that specialized in social and economic history, and he was among the first booksellers to gather a large collection around a movement or person. The Kashnor collection comprises nearly 4000 publications from 1650 to 1880, ranging from laws promulgated by Oliver Cromwell to discussions on the Corn Law, Indian currency and other colonial issues. This collection can be traced under a special collection code (‘Kashnor’) in the IISH catalogue.
Thomas W. Baldwin Collection, The Rare Book & Manuscript Library University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library
The Thomas W. Baldwin Collection is a centerpiece of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s extensive holdings of imprints from the age of Shakespeare. Baldwin, a distinguished Professor of English at the University of Illinois from 1925 to 1958, assembled the collection to support his research relating to the education of Shakespeare and his contemporaries. Consequently, the collection is strong in Renaissance rhetoric, pedagogy, religion, and history, and in editions of classical texts taught in English schools.
In the early 20th century, the University of Illinois began to build its collections in earnest in order to support faculty in conducting primary research far removed from major urban centers. Professor Harris F. Fletcher, a member of the English faculty from 1926 to 1962, amassed a collection of books by and about John Milton which, in 1937, was housed in the Seventeenth Century Room on the fourth floor of the University Library. Likewise, Professor Baldwin was gathering books in his study on behalf of the library, “assembled by long search in second-hand catalogues and in English book-stalls,” as the annual report for 1941 records. By 1943, Baldwin’s cache of library books had joined Fletcher’s to form the core of what is now the Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
Through the years, Professor Baldwin also built a personal collection, using it as a supplement to the books that the university had purchased on his recommendation. From these resources, Baldwin produced dozens of studies and editions of Shakespeare’s works. In his William Shakespere’s Small Latine & Lesse Greeke (1944), Baldwin pays tribute to the library for allowing him to acquire thousands of volumes pertinent to his research. Baldwin’s personal library, consisting of some 5,800 volumes, was acquired by the library in 1966.
Although books from the Baldwin Collection have been featured in exhibitions, exposing the public to their richness, and have been used by scholars who visit the University of Illinois Library, online access to the collection remains limited; this situation will be remedied with the help of an Andrew W. Mellon Foundation cataloging grant.
In sum, the Baldwin Collection, along with the Milton and Miltoniana books gathered by Harris F. Fletcher, forms the core around which the strengths of the University of Illinois’s collections have been built. In 1950, University of Illinois alumnus Ernest Ingold donated a set of the four Shakespeare folios, followed over the years by a substantial number of other Shakespeare items, such as a set of eight Pavier quartos (1619). Subsequently, the University of Illinois has become one of the most important repositories of pre-1801 English imprints in the world. In addition, the library holds more than 1,100 incunabula, making it one the premier collections in North America, and significant collections of 16th- and 17th-century Continental books. Manuscript collections range from Elizabethan legal documents to a commonplace book in the hand of Gabriel Harvey and the papers of Sir Robert Clayton, banker and Lord Mayor of London in 1679. The scholarly enterprise embodied by the Thomas W. Baldwin Collection continues to flourish at the University of Illinois.
Collection Profile and Overview: Valerie Hotchkiss, Alvan Bregman, Christopher D. Cook
Illustrations: Jason Lindsey, Noah Pollaczek